Photos with tag: 1900s

Deptford Broadway

Numbers 2 -13 The Grove (later West Grove), c.1905. This part of Blackheath was known originally as Chocolate Row and later as The Grove. The first name came from the (drinking) chocolate house built here in 1702, which became one … Continue reading

Black and White photo shoto St. Paul’s on Waldenshaw Road, 1904

Tudor Hall, which was originally known as Red Hall, was built in 1854 – 1855, and was probably first occupied by one of Queen Victoria’s maids of honour. It was the largest house in Dartmouth Park, an estate built for … Continue reading

The Avenue, Grove Park c.1905 (Olley Clltn)

The Keep was the original name for this 1850s house, one of the largest built in London Road after the opening of the station in 1839. In fact it lay back from the road in extensive gardens. The name ‘Surrey … Continue reading

Black and White photo showing St. James’ Church on Stanstead Road, c. Late 1800s / Early 1900s

Black and White photo showing the exterior of the vicarage with Reverend Samuel Luffmann and his family, c.1900

The College Park estate was built by the Mercer’s Company in the 1860s and 1870s over the fields of a small farm that the company administered as trustees of a charity. It was one of the most significant additions to … Continue reading

St Paul’s Church, Deptford interior 1901

View west along New Cross Road from the Marquis of Granby public house, junction of Lewisham Way, formerly Lewisham High Road. Watercolour by unknown artist, c.1840