Brunswick House was built in 1789 for Captain Thomas Slade, formerly of the Chatham Marines. Between 1812 and 1850 it served as a ladies' boarding school. This may have been when the Coade stone medallions were added, as the surviving one seems emblematic of teaching. After the front garden, which ran up to Lewisham Way, was built over, Brunswick House degenerated into an industrial school, lodging house, warehouse, and finally flats. It is now called Kylefield House, 124 Tanners Hill. Only small sections of the original fabric are visible. Print of a watercolour illustration by an unknown artist, 1841.
• Roads and Streets