This courtyard was entered from a narrow alley off Dacre Street (now Fludyer Street) and in 1935 the twelve houses were earmarked for slum clearance. These houses, exceptionally small and poor in an area of small poor houses, were built in the 1840s. As this photograph shows in 1935 they still had outdoor lavatories and no bathrooms. The site was cleared by 1939. After the war two prefabs were built on the site; later a block of flats covered this and neighbouring sites.
• Roads and Streets