Deptford Station in the High Street is the oldest surviving passenger train station in London. It was opened in 1836 as part of the first section of the London and Greenwich Railway, which did not reach Greenwich itself until 1838. The High Street was emerging from its rural past, known at this time as Butt Lane - a farm still occupied much of the west side - but within five years Hyde Street and Hamilton Street, featuring a Railway Tavern, were stretching across the fields. Print of a watercolour by an unknown artist, 1839. William John Evelyn had ordered a new survey of his estate to prepare for the switch from market gardens to houses.