Toggle navigation
Menu
Lewisham Borough Photos
Images from Lewisham
Home
Places
Dates
Themes
Prints
Checkout
In page-searchResults.php
Search Results Page
Search for images:
Search for phrase:
Select Date
All Dates
1700s
1800s
1900s
1910s
1920s
1930s
1940s
1950s
1960s
1970s
1980s
1990s
unknown
Select Area
All Areas
Beckenham
Bellingham
Bermondsey
Blackheath
Brockley
Catford
Crystal Palace
Deptford
Downham
Dulwich
Forest Hill
France
Greenwich
Grove Park
Hants
Herne Hill
Hither Green
Honor Oak
Ladywell
Lee
Lewisham
New Cross
Nuhead
Parham Park
Peckham
Southend
St John's
Sussex
Sydenham
Westminster
Woolwich
Select Theme
All Themes
Animals
Archaeology
Beaulieu
Bridges
Businesses
Canals Ponds and Rivers
Celebrations
Cemeteries
Charities
Charity
Churches
Education
Emergency Services
Entertainment
Event
Farms
General Views
Health
HealthPublic Buildings
Heath
Houses
Houses(Large)
Housing
Industry
Markets
Military
Mills
Music
Parks and Open Spaces
People
Public Art
Public Buildings
Pubs
PulicBuildings
Rivers
Roads and Streets
Royalty
Shops
Sport
Sports
Stations
Theatres and Cinemas
Transport
Winter Scenes
Work
World War One
World War Two
Youth
Search for:
Showing results for pictures from , in , of , with the phrase ''
Page 207 of 234
« First
«
...
10
20
30
...
205
206
207
208
209
...
220
230
...
»
Last »
Black and White Photograph of The Cottage of Content
Black and White photograph showing exterior of the Cranbrook, with Cranbrook Road to left, Brookmill Road to right, Carrington House visible on extreme right)
Black and White photograph showing exterior of the Crown and Sceptre , Friendly Street, 26/6/79
Black and White Photograph of The Croydon Railway Near Dartmouth Arms, Sydenham Published 1839
Black and White artwork showing exterior front of the Dover Castle. Copied from a Thankful Sturdee original
The Dover Castle, Deptford Broadway
The Downham Tavern c.1932
Black and White photograph showing exterior of the Duke, Creek Road, on the corner of Gonson Street
Black and White photograph showing exterior of the Duke, Creek Road, 1960 (courtesy of Whitbread London Ltd, Whitbread House, Park Street West, Luton)
The Elms was built as a farmhouse, probably in the 1780s, after the partial demolition of the Tudor mansion known as Place House, where the farmer had lived until then. The bay windows were added c.1870. The gradual break-up of the old Place House farm after 1850 made much of western Catford available for building.
Much of the early suburban development of Hither Green in the years around 1800 was made possible by the piecemeal enclosure of wasteland bordering Hither Green Lane. In 1788 Lord Dartmouth leased the site on which two semi-detached houses, later called the Elms and the Chesnuts, were built. The early tenants included shopkeepers from Leadenhall Street and The Strand, and a Bermondsey vinegar manufacturer. The Elms later became the St. Mary's Mission House It was demolished around 1891 to provide part of the site for St. Swithun's Church. The other house, known as the Chestnuts, became the vicarage in 1886 and is now the oldest building in Hither Green.
People on a hill, maypole in the distance
Page 207 of 234
« First
«
...
10
20
30
...
205
206
207
208
209
...
220
230
...
»
Last »