The Keep was the original name for this 1850s house, one of the largest built in London Road after the opening of the station in 1839. In fact it lay back from the road in extensive gardens. The name 'Surrey Mount' was suggested by the adjacent county boundary. It became the home of Frederick Horniman when he moved from Surrey House to make way for the museum. This photograph was taken after Horniman had given the estate to the people of London as a park, and the house had become the refreshment rooms. It was demolished in 1960.
• Forest Hill
• Public Buildings