The transformation of southern Hither Green from farmland to suburbia was accomplished by one man, Archibald Cameron Corbett, who was also responsible for five other large estates in east and south London. Responding promptly to the opening of Hither Green Station in 1895, Corbett bought 278 acres from the Earl of St Germans, and between 1896 and 1913 built 3062 houses at prices ranging from £215 to £470. He financed an extra station entrance on his side of the tracks, and targeted commuters with cut-price season tickets. Torridon Road, seen here in 1910, was begun in 1898.
• Hither Green
• Roads and Streets