Woodlands was built between 1774 and 1776 for John Julius Angerstein, the financier and art collector whose collection forms the basis of the National Gallery. The Architect was George Gibson, who is also thought to have designed the Knoll. The Angerstein family occupied the house until 1870. In the twentieth century it served as a convent, an art gallery and the Greenwich Local History Library. Watercolour painting by George Heriot, c.1790.
• Roads and Streets