Dr. Annie McCall, 1859 - 1949. One of the first fifty women to qualify as a doctor in 1885, she was a pioneer in the field of maternity, childcare and the training of midwives in Lambeth. Annie McCall started a school of midwifery in her home and the Clapham Maternity Hospital in Jeffreys Road, Stockwell, in 1889. It was renamed the Annie McCall Maternity Hospital in 1936. She enforced the highest standards of hygiene and medical care which resulted in very low maternity death rates among women. Only women staff and students were admitted, to enable women to obtain training. The hospital also trained many women from West Africa, including the daughter of an African Chief. Dr McCall retired from the hospital in 1941. The centre was used as an NHS maternity hospital until 1970.Ref: SP1955
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.