ASTLEY’S NEW AMPHITHEATRE, WESTMINSTER BRIDGE ROAD, LAMBETH
The Astley's 'New' Amphitheatre as rebuilt by William Batty in 1841 after one of several fires. The building was improved with two entrances, an octagonal interior designed by 'Dickey' Usher and 'from a rich allegorical dome is suspended a crystal and gold chandelier'. The new stage measured 75ft x 101ft and was 'fitted with substantial platforms for equestrian spectacles'. Ref: Press Cuttings Vol.6Engraving from Illustrated London News, dated 1st April 1843.
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.