ASYLUM FOR FEMALE ORPHANS, WESTMINSTER BRIDGE ROAD, LAMBETH
Meal time in the Dining Hall of the Asylum for Female Orphans, Westminster Bridge Road. Founded in 1758, by the magistrate Sir John Fielding for girls between ages of 9 and 15 years. These girls were trained for domestic services and to read and write. The building was advertised in 1858 as an 'Asylum, or House of Refuge for Orphans, and other deserted Girls of the Poor', with the intentions of the charity 'to preserve poor friendless girls from ruin and render them useful members of the community'.Aquatint by Hill, drawn and engraved by Pugin and Rowlandson, 1808Ref: LP12/558/FEM.2
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.