Surviving buildings in the former Bassett's Yard at 492 Streatham High Road. William Bassett ran a building firm from these premises until 1899. They were then redeveloped by P.B.Cow, who produced rubber goods on this site, including the famous 'Lilo' inflatable bed. Factory Square is named after London's first purpose-built factory, erected here for silk weaving by Stephen Wilson in 1820. The buildings were demolished in 1976 for a Sainsbury's supermarket, although part of the original factory survives as a coffee shop.Digital image by kind permission of Graham Gower.
#1951 - 1975 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #Graham Gower Collection #Photograph #STREATHAM COMMON