BATTERSEA RISE HOUSE, CLAPHAM COMMON WEST SIDE, CLAPHAM
Battersea Rise House, built in c.1770 on Clapham Common West Side, the site now marked by Canford and Muncaster Road. The house and estate were bought by Henry Thornton in 1792. William Wilberforce, his good friend, lived here until Henry's marriage. Both men were MPs and important members of the 'Clapham Sect', who worked to abolish the slave trade. A purpose built library in the house became the main meeting place of the 'Clapham Sect' in 1797. This view across the lawns to the rear of the house.Ref: SP22/188/BAT.1
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.