Bishop's and Prince's wards reflect the growing trend of Victorian terraced housing and housing estates that have replaced the large mansions with their extensive gardens. Riverside industries included potteries, soap works and distilleries, using the river to transport goods. Overcrowded houses in multiple occupation and poor repair led to crime, poverty and disease, addressed in Edwardian times largely by the Duchy of Cornwall in the Prince's Ward. The Oval, is now the Surrey Cricket Ground,(leased by the Surrey Cricket Club in 1845); and Kennington Common, has undergone many changes before becoming Kennington Park. St Mark's Church, built just to its south in 1824, stands where the Kennington gallows used to be. Extract from the 'Plan of The Parish of Lambeth, showing its Divisions into Wards and Ecclesiastical Districts', surveyor Hugh McIntosh, 1876.
#1876 - 1900 #Print #RECREATION AND LEISURE #RELIGION #RIVERS AND WATERCOURSES #ROADS AND STREETS #SPORT