Bishop's Walk, Lambeth, before demolition to make way for the development of St. Thomas' Hospital and the Embankment. The walk was closed to vehicular access at both ends by iron posts and the left-hand wall is that of Lambeth Palace. The man outside the house without a hat is J. Rorke, the woodcarver and gilder and next door is the ivy-clad house of Mr Till, R.A., a 'great Scotch artist'. The area beyond the adjacent wall belonged to the Passenger Steamboat Service Company. This photograph was taken by William Strudwick (1834-1910) using the 'wet plate' method in a home-made portable studio, and is dated 18th April 1866.
#1850 - 1875 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #HEALTH #LAMBETH #Photograph #ROADS AND STREETS #Strudwick Photographer