Single Image Page

BON MARCHE, BRIXTON ROAD, BRIXTON

BON MARCHE, BRIXTON ROAD, BRIXTON

Bon Marche department store in Brixton Road, Brixton. The store was opened on 1st April 1877 at a cost of £70,000 and built to the designs of Lambeth architects, Messrs H. Parsons & Rawlings. It was modelled on Parisian department stores, offering a wide variety of goods under one roof - then a novelty in London. An accommodation block was built adjacent for employees containing over 100 apartments and with male and female dining rooms. Photographed here when owned by the John Lewis Partnership. The building is now occupied by small retail units and offices. Photograph by Sydney Newbery
Details
Collection:Department of Town Planning
Image type:Photograph
Artist:Newbery
Ref:09097
Identifier:LBL/DTP/UD2/1/19/111
Date:c.1965

#1951 - 1975  #BRIXTON CENTRAL  #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE  #Department of Town Planning  #Photograph  #SHOPS AND SHOPPING 

Buy This Print

Buy This Print


Size Price (inc VAT) Shipping UK
(6"x4" & 10"x8" £2.50)
(Other £3.99)
Worldwide
(£5.99)
6"x4" £8.75
10"x8" £15.50
16"x12" £25.00
20"x16" £31.25

Other Photos Nearby

Other Photos Near Map