Girls from Brixton Orphange, 53-57 Barrington Road. The Orphanage was founded in 1876 by Annie E. Montague with support from many local Anglican churches. By 1886 it had expanded to accommodate 300 'fatherless girls' and continued in this role until 1937, when it was closed and the remaining girls were transferred to the Stockwell Orphanage. The girl annotated 'X' was Ivy Cole, her friend Annie Cotsford spent her childhood in the Orphanage from 1907-18.Digital image by kind permission of Brenda Timms and Ann Healy, daughters of Annie Cotsford.Ref: D97/1, IV 277/4
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.