Side elevation showing the 'chapel, kitchen, offices &c' of Brixton Prison. The prison was first built in 1819 and enlarged in the 1850s to accommodate 700 women prisoners. It was soon used by the Government as a military prison, but returned to civilian use at the end of the 19th century. The earliest surving building is the Governor's house of c.1820.Lithograph by Day & Son.
#1850 - 1875 #BRIXTON HILL #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #LAW AND ORDER #Lithograph