Plan of one of the new wings at Brixton Prison showing the 212 'sleeping cells'. The prison was first built in 1819 and enlarged in the 1850s to accommodate 700 women prisoners. It was soon used by the Government as a military prison, but returned to civilian use at the end of the 19th century. The earliest surviving building is the Governor's house of c.1820.Lithograph by Day & Son.
#1850 - 1875 #BRIXTON HILL #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #LAW AND ORDER #Lithograph