A notice announcing the sale of 'the site of the House of Correction (now abandoned), at Brixton'. Particulars were available from the Clerk of the Peace, Surrey House, Kennington Road. The notice claims the buildings covered 5 acres were erected 25 years previously. With the building of the new House of Correction in Wandsworth, the Surrey Justices sold the prison to William Tite, who planned to demolish it and sell the building materials. However, Lord Palmerston became Home Secretary and planned to abolish transportation of convicts to the colonies. With a looming shortage of accommodation, Tite resold the prison to the Government and it was subsequently enlarged to house 700 women convicts.
#1850 - 1875 #BRIXTON HILL #LAW AND ORDER