The Brixton windmill was built 1816-17 and leased by John Ashby as a 'Brick corn Mill'. By 1862 the surrounding area had become too built-up for it to operate efficiently, so the sails removed and machinery was changed. It was used for storage for a short time and returned to milling from 1902 to 1934 being steam and then gas-driven, by the firm of Ashby. In 1955 it was purchased by the London County Council and re-opened as Windmill Gardens in 1962, located adjacent to Blenheim Gardens. It was restored again in 2011. Painted by H.L.RRef: LP16
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.