Broomwood House, formerly Broomfield Lodge, Clapham West Side, designed by the architect, J.T.Groves. Between 1779 and 1808 it was the residence of William Wilberforce, who successfully campaigned against the slave trade. This view taken c.1870 shows a family then in residence with their retinue of servants assembled in the verandah at the rear of the house. The house was demolished in April 1904 and the site redeveloped as flats.
#1850 - 1875 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #CLAPHAM #People #Photograph #WILBERFORCE- William