Interior of the Canterbury Music Hall in Upper Marsh, Lambeth, 'showing the new Ante-hall, Picture Gallery and Supper Room lately added'. Canterbury Hall began in 1849 under the proprietorship of Charles Morton with Saturday night entertainments on the site of a former public house. These proved so successful that in 1854 the hall was relarged to over 4,000 sq.ft., accommodating an audience of 1,000 people. Morton became known as the Father of the Music Hall. The theatre was rebuilt several times, the last being by theatre architect Frank Matcham in 1890. Converted into a cinema in the 1920s, it was severly damaged by bombing in 1942 during WWII.Lithograph after drawing by S. Field.
#1850 - 1875 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #ENTERTAINMENT #LAMBETH #Lithograph #People