Detail from a renumbering plan for Clapham Road, Stockwell, incorporating Dudley Villas, Stockwell Common, Binfield Place and Alexander Terrace. Premises include The Swan public house and Stockwell Villa, the site of the current underground station. Occupiers; James Stiff, George Hanby, Ebenezer Stiff, William Sherwin, Dr Harvey Owen, Charles Plunket, William Lord and Mrs Harriett Samuels. Also listed as residents are are James Stiff (1808-1897) and Ebenezer Stiff (1840-1913), father and son, who were both potters. James began with an apprenticeship at the Coade factory before becoming a mould-maker at Doulton & Watts in 1830. He began his own pottery works in 1843 at 39 High Street, Lambeth, and later brought his two sons, Ebenezer and William into the business. The company, James Stiff & Sons, was sold to Doulton in 1913.From the Street Renumbering/ Renaming Files, dated 11th December 1868.Ref: LBL/DCEPS/SL/1/203
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.