The Clerke family monument as it appeared in the mediaeval parish church, Rectory Grove, Clapham. Bartholomew Clerke, who lived in the Manor House, died in 1589 and was Lord Mayor of London. The church was in the centre of the old village of Clapham. After the new church of Holy Trinity was built on the Common in 1776, more of the old church was pulled down, leaving only a part for funerals. This was replaced in 1815 by St.Paul's Church, which became a chapel of ease for Holy Trinity. Only a part of the Clerke monument now survives. Watercolour by unknown artist.Ref: SP22/713/PAU.7
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.