A view showing the exterior of Cumberland Gardens Tavern, Vauxhall, looking towards Nine Elms. Originally known Smith's Tea Gardens, the tavern was situated South-west of Vauxhall Gardens and provided refreshments for people travelling to them. On the morning of 25th May 1825 the tavern was destroyed by fire, Mr Bayliss the proprietor only just escaping the flames with his wife, having been woken by the watch-men of Vauxhall Bridge Road. It was reported that grounds were damaged 'by the indiscriminate trampling of the crowds who rushed into the gardens from motives of plunder and curiosity'. The site was replaced by the Phoenix Gas Works. Etching, c.1790.
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.