A view of the interior of a saloon at the Cumberland Gardens Tavern, Vauxhall, originally known Smith's Tea Gardens. Situated South-west of Vauxhall Gardens. Provided refreshments for people travelling to Vauxhall Gardens. On the morning of 25th May 1825 the tavern was destroyed by fire, Mr Bayliss the proprietor only just escaping the flames with his wife, having been woken by the watch-men of Vauxhall Bridge Road. It was reported that grounds were damaged 'by the indiscriminate trampling of the crowds who rushed into the gardens from motives of plunder and curiosity'. The site was replaced by the Phoenix Gas Works. Sepia pen-drawing by unknown artist, 3rd April 1817.Ref: SP14/581/64
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.