Clientele of the 'Dog and Duck', a place of entertainment from 1642-1799 which prospered enough to rival the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens, and was also known as St George's Spa 1773-91. Initially a small inn adjacent to ponds where spaniels caught ducks to be served to customers, development ensued with the use of the mineral water from wells. As a venue for entertainment it gained a reputation of ill-repute, a haunt for prostitutes. Mr Barrett, a local magistrate and proprietor of Vauxhall Gardens, successfully campaigned to have the licence revoked.Coloured mezzotint published July 25th, 1769Ref: LP3/608/DOG.D1
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.