Front elevation and entrance to Durning Library. The library was the gift of Jemina Durning Smith, who was the sister-in-law of Sir Edwin Durning-Lawrence, one of the Library Commissioners. The architect was Sidney R.J.Smith and it was built at a cost of Â£10,000 by Messrs Hall, Beddall & Co., of Pitfield Wharf, Waterloo Bridge, with terracotta ornamentation by Messrs. Stiff of Lambeth. The opening ceremony of the library took place on 6th November 1889 by Sir James Clark Lawrence, brother of Sir Edwin Durning-Lawrence. The two adjacent houses, Nos.165 and 169, were built c.1780 by George Matthews.Ref: SP13/940/
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.