Festival of Britain. Site under consruction. View looking towards St. Paul's Cathedral showing the embankment, the Shot Tower and Waterloo Bridge. 10th August 1950. The Shot Tower was used from 1826 for making lead shot for guns. The tower was run by Walters, Parker & Co. until 1949. For the Festival it was used as a light house and the optic for the light was made by Chance Brothers Ltd., who had made the glass for the original Crystal Palace. It was also used as a radio telescope, transmitting signals to the moon. The tower was demolished in 1962 and replaced by a tree.Ref: IV/158/9678
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.