Lambeth waterfront with Lambeth Bridge on the left and the river frontage of buildings in Lower Fore Street, photographed just as the timber shuttering had commenced for the construction of the Albert Embankment. The large house adjacent to Doulton's was Diamond Hall, former home of the Bishop of Hereford, and the chimney behind that of Janeway's Pottery. The Ship Tavern is occupied by Wentzell, boat builders of renown, as was Edward Wyld's on the right, which was also the boat house for Westminster Boys' School. The large tower faintly seen on the left was the 'Crow's Nest', a lookout platform Hodge's Distillery Fire Station. Photographed using the 'wet plate' method by William Strudwick (1834-1910).
#1850 - 1875 #BRIDGES #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY #LAMBETH #Photograph #RIVERS AND WATERCOURSES #Strudwick Photographer #TRADE #TRANSPORT