The chapel at Gilmore House was built in 1897 for Mrs Gilmore, to the designs of Philip Webb with stained glass by Edward Burne-Jones. She was the sister of William Morris and here founded the Anglican Order of Deaconesses, establishing a training college for women. The house was once the home of John Walter, the founder of The Times. Originally it was one of the 'Sister Houses' build by Isaac Ackermann that stood on Clapham Common North Side, each house a mirror image of the other with extensive grounds extending north to Lavender Hill. Pencil drawing by A. Maud Parsons c.1910.Ref: LP22/188/GIL.1
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.