Renumbering plan detail for Gipsy Hill, Upper Norwood. Subsidiary names abolished include Colby Terrace and Bon Marche Terrace. Premises include Rickket Smith & Co (Railway Cottage) Bradford & Smith and Gipsy Hill Station. Occupants listed include: Captain Thurburn (Thorsden), Dr Edward Bishop (Berkeley Lodge), W.E.Wiltshire (Colmadene), Madame Riviere (Villa St. Avit), William H Vaughan (The Nook), General N Parsons (Queenwood), James F Wright (Grazeley), Charles St George Cleverley (Oaklands), James Sanderson, Thomas Archer, Montague Long, Alfred Hare. Upper Norwood was renown at the time as a residential location for many retired army officers. Captain Thurburn was recorded as a survivor of the 1857 Indian Mutiny, when he and his family were protected by a local Rajah and hastily evacutated by river from Gopalpore.From the Street Renumbering/ Renaming Files, dated 21st December 1883Ref: LBL/DCEPS/SL/1/396
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.