A fire observatory at Mr Hodges' Distillery, Church Street (now Lambeth Road). The platform was 125 feet high and a look-out was raised to the top via a pulley. Fires were detected and as a result Mr Hodges' engines and volunteers were often the first to arrive at the scene. He also presented a fire engine to the parish.Published in The Penny Illustrated, 22nd November 1862.
#1850 - 1875 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY #EMERGENCY SERVICES #LAMBETH #Photograph #TRADE