Single Image Page

JAMES WALKER LTD, JEWELLERY SHOP, BRIXTON ROAD

JAMES WALKER LTD, JEWELLERY SHOP, BRIXTON ROAD

Jewellery shop of James Walker Silversmiths and Goldsmiths Ltd., at 387 Brixton Road with Mr Blissington & Miss Brown outside. The firm was originally established in 1823, but considerably expanded by Sidney Sanders from 1920 onwards into the second largest multiple retailer of jewellery and silverware in Britain. Century House at 245 Streatham High Road was opened in 1938 as the firm's headquarters and workshops. The business was taken over by H.Samuel in April 1984 and subsequently closed down.From the James Walker Collection.
Details
Collection:James Walker
Image type:Photograph
Artist:
Ref:07180
Identifier:1999/14
Date:c.1940

#1901 - 1925  #BRIXTON CENTRAL  #COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY  #James Walker  #Photograph  #SANDERS- Sidney  #SHOPS AND SHOPPING  #TRADE