John Doulton (1793 - 1873). John was born at Fulham, and served his apprenticeship at the famous Fulham pottery founded by John Dwight. In 1815 he went into a partnership with John Watts to acquire a small pottery in Vauxhall Walk. By 1826 the Company was trading as Doulton & Watts, and they moved to a larger premises on Lambeth High Street. Henry Doulton, the second son of John Doulton, entered the business in 1835. The range of products widened in 1830s to include architectural terracotta and garden wares. It was the manufacture of drainpipes during sanitary revolution of the 1840s that assured the company's financial success and enabled it to venture into art pottery during the 1860s. On John Watts' retirement in 1854 the firm became Doulton & Co. Copyright Doulton & Co. Ref: 12/369/p.4
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.