Harleyford Road looking across the Oval towards St. Mark's Vicarage, Kennington. Built on Duchy of Cornwall land the distinctive oval shape was created c.1789 when a new road was laid out on land held by nurserymen William Malcolm and James & George Mitchelson. In 1790 it was leased solely to the Mitchelsons and is seem here as a market garden. In 1845 Mr Houghton of Brixton Hill proposed a 'Subscription Cricket Ground' and was accepted as the leasee for the Montpellier Club, playing the first game in March of that year, after 10,000 turves from Tooting Common had been laid. The Surrey Club, founded in the Horn Tavern 4 months earlier, initially shared the ground before becoming the leaseholder.Copyright document, published in The Cricketer, Centenary Souvenir, September 1980.
|Identifier:||Cuttings File/ 576|
#-Before 1850 #HOUSING #KENNINGTON #MONTGOMERY #Print #RECREATION AND LEISURE #RELIGION #ROADS AND STREETS #SPORT