Kennington Toll Gate (or Turnpike) at the junction of the Clapham and Brixton Roads, as it would have appeared in the 1860s busy with horse-drawn traffic. These roads were turned into turnpikes in 1717 and this toll gate was not abolished until 1865. St Mark's church, visible behind, was built in 1824 on the site of the old gallows.Watercolour by Guy Miller, dated 1935.
|Image type:||Watercolour Painting|
#1850 - 1875 #ANIMALS #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #KENNINGTON #ROADS AND STREETS #TRANSPORT #Watercolour Painting