The old Lambeth Bridge looking east from the Westminster side. The bridge, built at a cost of Â£30,000 by the engineer Peter W. Barlow, was then the cheapest bridge across the Thames and the largest of its kind in Britain. It opened on 10th November 1862, but was demolished shortly after this photograph was taken, having been restricted to pedestrians due to it's poor condition. It was replaced by the present bridge which was constructed 1929-32 and designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield. The site was previously that of the old Horse Ferry and, according to legend, where St Peter crossed to consecrate the first Abbey at Westminster.Ref: LP12/171/LAM.7
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.