A view of the new Lambeth Burial Ground in Blackshaw Road, Tooting, opened by the Lambeth Parish in June 1854 to alleviate the lack of burial spaces in the parish's churchyards. This burial gound was initially 30 acres purchased at a cost of Â£9,000, but less than 20 years later there had been almost 50,000 burials and a further 11Â½ acres were added at a cost of Â£5,728. There were two chapels, one for Dissenters and one Episcopal. From The Builder, Vol.12, p.223, 29th April 1854.
#1850 - 1875 #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #BURIAL GROUNDS AND CEMETERIES #Engraving #RELIGION #ROADS AND STREETS