Tombstones in the former burial ground extension in Lambeth High Street. The ground was given to the parish by Archbishop Tenison in 1703 and augmented with land bought under an Act of Parliament. It was an addition to the graveyard of nearby St Mary's, although had to be extended in 1814 as available burial space diminished. A Watch House was erected in 1825 on the High Street boundary for the detention of 'the drunk and disorderly', now demolished although a marker stone survives. With the cessation of burials in 1853, the ground became derelict and in 1884 the Lambeth Vestry turned the area into a public park, with the gravestones cleared to line the perimeter walls. The gardens were enlarged in 1929 to include the site of a glass bottle factory in Whitgift Street, purchased for Â£700. Photographed 22nd March 2005.Digital image courtesy of Penelope Gretton.
#1976 to date #BURIAL GROUNDS AND CEMETERIES #Graham Gower Collection #LAMBETH #OPEN SPACES #Photograph