Engraving showing the opening of the new works of the Lambeth Water Company at Seething Wells, Thames Ditton, Surrey. The Company was founded in 1785 and supplied water for domestic use and for use in the case of fires. The intake of water was from the Thames adjacent to Hungerford Bridge and initially supplied 629 houses. However, due to pollutants in the river the decision was made in 1847 to move beyond the tidal reach of the Thames to Seething Wells. In 1874 the company was again forced to relocate for a cleaner water supply, moving the waterworks upstream to West Molesey. Engraving by Smyth.Ref: SP12/251/1
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.