Lambeth Workhouse, front elevation seen from Princes Road (now Black Prince Road), Lambeth. Note the dog in the foreground, emphasizing society's attitude to the inmates. The building was replaced in 1873 with a new workhouse in Renfrew Road. However, by 1887 the number of inmates had outgrown the new building and it was decided to reconstruct the old workhouse to provide accommodation for 200 men and 150 women. This was done at a cost of Â£20,000 to the designs of Mr T.W.E.Aldwinckle, who also enlarged the new workhouse, now called Lambeth Infirmary, to provide 250 extra beds. Watercolour by G.Yates, 1825. Ref: SP12/773/1
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.