Single Image Page

Single Image Page

Title

LAND ARMY WOMEN, THE PAVEMENT, CLAPHAM

Peggy and Jean Sweetland dressed in their Women's Land Army uniforms, either side of their friend Gladys Dell, photographed here during Easter 1948 on The Pavement, Clapham. The Sweetland family lived in Clapham Manor Street and later in The Polygon. The Women's Land Army, along with the Women's Timber Corps, was formed in June 1939 as part of a government initiative to replace male agricultural workers who were due to be enlisted for war. By 1943 there were 80,000 'Land Girls' growing food and tending livestock in Britain. The WLA continued after the war, although numbers soon dwindled as men were demobbed and reclaimed jobs traditionally associated with the male workforce. It was finally disbanded on 21st October 1950.Image by kind permission of Mrs Shirley Skinner (née Sweetland)Ref: SP4233/1

Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to archives@lambeth.gov.uk.


Details
Collection:
Image type:Photograph
Artist:
Ref:09833
Original ref:SP4133/1
Date:1948

1926 - 1950CLAPHAMEMERGENCY SERVICESPeoplePhotographWAR AND ARMED FORCES

Buy This Print

Buy This Print

Size Price (inc VAT) Shipping UK
(6"x4" & 10"x8" £2.50)
(Other £3.99)
Worldwide
(£5.99)
6"x4" £8.75
10"x8" £15.50
16"x12" £25.00
20"x16" £31.25

Other Photos Nearby

Other Photos Near Map