LOLLARD ADVENTURE PLAYGROUND, WAKE STREET, LAMBETH
A boy pushing a barrow to assist with the construction of the Lollard Adventure Playground in Lambeth, built on the site of a bombed school. This community-led initiative begun in 1955 was run by a voluntary association supported by grants and fund raising. It was a departuture from traditional playgrounds with features that included; a grass area for camping, gossip, sunbathing and growing vegetables; a hard surface for ball games; rough ground for building bonfires, underground tunnels and cooking. Inside areas included a workshop and hut for painting, modelling plus lessons, also a caravan for girls 'to keep house'. From modest beginnings 250 children were recorded during one day in 1958. The playground site was replaced in the 1960s by the Lilian Baylis School.Ref: IV 251/1/11
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to email@example.com.