Lower Fore Street, Lambeth, later replaced by the Albert Embankment. 'The formation of the street was in every sense everywhere most irregular as regards the frontage line, the style of houses and shops, and also the roadways and footways, as can be seen. The old cellar traps were built specially high to keep the water out. The building on the left with the cellar traps was Bagstone's Pottery, after taken over by Janeway. This is Janeway's Pottery, where decorative salt-glazed stoneware was first made in Lambeth. The large house, with the railed-in court and socket lamp at entrance, is Diamond Hall, formerly the Bishop of Hereford's Palace' - Charles Woolley, 1915. Photograph by William Strudwick (1834-1910), who also worked as an architect, artist and writer.Ref: S 3196/67
Copies cannot be purchased on the site as the image is copyright to a third party.
Please send enquiries about copies and use to firstname.lastname@example.org.