View of the Minet Library flying the flag having been gutted by incendiary bombs on Sunday 8th December, 1940. The resulting fire destroyed 18,585 books, although 6,700 were salvaged, and half were moved to a temporary library set up adjacent in Longfield Hall. Whilst the basement was damaged by water, the Surrey Collection, housed in a strong room, was almost unharmed. The Foreign Office confidentially requested information on the damage 'to be used as propaganda in the USA'. The library was rebuilt and opened in 1959 as a local library and home to Lambeth Archives. This watercolour and pencil sketch was commissioned by the Librarian from Joan Blotam to record the damage, dated 'February 1940' [probably 1941].
|Image type:||Watercolour Painting|
#1926 - 1950 #BRIXTON NORTH #LIBRARIES #WAR AND ARMED FORCES #Watercolour Painting