The Mission Hall, Clarence Place, originally the premises of the Primitive Methodists, was acquired by members of the Brixton Congregational Church who were inspired by the missionary zeal of Rev. Baldwin Brown and later Rev Bernard Snell. Their activities included free education for adults and children, penny dinners, social evenings, and sewing classes for girls. They continued their work in new premises as 'The Moffat Institute for Christian Work' in Esher Street (later Aveline Street), which opened in 1875. The site at Clarence Place is now replaced by a large residential development.Photograph from a booklet about the Moffat Institute by Rev Bernard Snell, published in 1896.
#1850 - 1875 #Photograph #RELIGION #Surrey Pamphlets #WELFARE AND SOCIAL INSTITUTIONS