Mrs Mallet, inspired by the missionary zeal of Rev. Baldwin Brown, started her charitable work in Lambeth as a district visitor in 1864, organizing a half kitchen, parlour and bed-room for women, first in Devonshire Street and later in Clarence Place. She was active in setting up the Mission Hall in Malmsey Place, previously Clarence Place, which added penny dinners, mother's meetings and sewing classes for girls to the existing activities. She died in 1876. Mr Walmsley, the city missionary for the district, joined Mrs Mallet in 1865 and added Sunday afternoon meetings for adults to the classes at the Mission Hall. In 1875 the Moffat Institute for Christian Work in Esher Street, Lambeth, was established to add to and carry on the activities of the Mission Hall in new and larger premises. Photographs from a booklet about the Moffat Institute by Rev Bernard Snell, published in 1896.
|Identifier:||S328/6 p.6 and p.12|
#1850 - 1875 #GROUPS AND SOCIETIES #MALLETT- Mrs #ORGANISATIONS #People #Photograph #RELIGION #Surrey Pamphlets #VAUXHALL #WELFARE AND SOCIAL INSTITUTIONS