Construction underway of the New Empress, Brixton, in an Art Deco style and at a cost of £150,000. Designed by Andrew Mather, it opened in October 1931, being used for variety, musical and other plays, revues and 'even talkies'. In March 1934, jazz musician Louis Armstrong performed here - he 'plays his trumpet like no one else in the world can, sings into the microphone, rushes all over the stage, perspiring mightily and using up a large quantity of white handkerchiefs' (Brixton Free Press). Later it was converted to use as a Bingo Hall, but was demolished in the late 1990s and replaced by a block of flats, despite a campaign to save it.
#1926 - 1950 #BRIXTON CENTRAL #BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE #ENTERTAINMENT #Print